Rouge et Noir
(French, red and black). A game of chance; so called
because of the red and black diamonds marked on the board. The dealer
deals out to noir first till the sum of the pips exceeds thirty, then
to rouge in the same manner. That packet which comes nearest to
thirty-one is the winner of the stakes.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Rouge et Noir from Infoplease:
- rouge et noir: meaning and definitions - rouge et noir: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rouge et Noir - Poemsby Emily Dickinson II Rouge Gagne Rouge et Noir Soul, wilt thou toss again? By just such a ...
- Rouge et Noir - Rouge et Noir (French, red and black). A game of chance; so called because of the red and black ...
- II - Poemsby Emily Dickinson Success Rouge et Noir II Our share of night to bear, Our share of morning, ...
- Life - Poemsby Emily Dickinson Transcriber's Note Love Life Contents Success II Rouge et Noir Rouge ...