or Ronion. A term of contempt to a woman. It is the
French rogneux (scabby, mangy).
“You hag, you baggage, you polecat, you ronyon! out, out!” —Shakespeare: Merry Wives of Windsor, iv. 2r
“`Aroint thee, witch!' the rump-fed ronyon cries.” Shakespeare: Macbeth, i. 3.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ronyon from Infoplease:
- ronyon: meaning and definitions - ronyon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ronyon - Ronyon or Ronion. A term of contempt to a woman. It is the French rogneux (scabby, mangy). ...
- ronion: meaning and definitions - ronion: Definition and Pronunciation
- Rump-fed - Rump-fed that is, fed on scraps, such as liver, kidneys, chitlings, and other kitchen perquisites. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index rix-dollar Riyadh riyal Rizaiyeh Rizal Rizal Day Riza Shah Pahlavi rizzar Rizzio ...