(of Newfoundland). So called because they daub their skin,
garments, canoes, weapons, and almost everything with red ochre.
“Whether it is merely a custom, or whether they daub their skin with
red ochre to protect it from the attacks of mosquitos and black-flies,
which swarm by myriads in the woods and wilds during the summer, it is
not possible to say.” —Lady Blake: Nineteenth Century, Dec.
1888, p. 905.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Red Indians from Infoplease:
- Red Indian: meaning and definitions - Red Indian: Definition and Pronunciation
- Red Indians - Red Indians (of Newfoundland). So called because they daub their skin, garments, canoes, weapons, ...
- Buchans - Buchans Buchans, town (1991 pop. 1,164), central Newfoundland, N.L., Canada, on Red Indian Lake. It ...
- Irumbu Kottai Murattu Singam - Starring Lawrence Raghavendra, Sandhya, Lakshmi Rai, Padmapriya, Nassar
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index in-basket in-between inboard inboard-outboard inbond inborn inbound inbounds ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring