(The or demi-lune, in fortification. A work with
two faces, forming a salient angle, placed beyond the main ditch,
opposite the curtain (q.v.), and separated from the covered way
(q.v.) by a ditch which runs into the main ditch.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ravelin from Infoplease:
- ravelin: meaning and definitions - ravelin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ravelin - Ravelin (The or demi-lune, in fortification. A work with two faces, forming a salient angle, placed ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index ran Rancagua ranch rancher rancherie ranchero ranchette ranch house Ranchi ...
- Amy Lowell: Pickthorn Manor - How fresh the Dartle's little waves that day! A steely silver, underlined with blue, And flashing where the round clouds, blown away, Let drop the yel
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: R - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "R"