(A). One who believes that the most perfect state of man is
when the spirit ceases to exercise any of its functions, and is wholly
passive. This sect has cropped up at sundry times; but the last who
revived it was Michael Molinos, a Spanish priest, in the seventeenth
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quietist from Infoplease:
- quietism: meaning and definitions - quietism: Definition and Pronunciation
- Quietist - Quietist (A). One who believes that the most perfect state of man is when the spirit ceases to ...
- Antoinette Bourignon - Bourignon, Antoinette Bourignon, Antoinette , 1616–80, Flemish Christian mystic, adherent of ...
- Miguel de Molinos - Molinos, Miguel de Molinos, Miguel de , 1640–1697?, Spanish priest and mystic. He was the ...
- Innocent XII - Innocent XII Innocent XII, 1615–1700, pope (1691–1700), a Neapolitan named Antonio ...