The essence of a thing, or that which differentiates it from
other things. Schoolmen say Quid est (what is it?) and the reply
is, the Quid is so and so, the What or the nature of the
thing is as follows. The latter quid being formed into a
barbarous Latin noun becomes Quidditas. Hence Quid est
(what is it)? Answer: Talis est quidditas (its essence is as
He knew ...
Where entity and quiddity (The ghosts of defunct bodies) fly.
Butler: Hudibras, $$$ 1
A crotchet; a trifling distinction. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Quiddity from Infoplease:
- quiddity: meaning and definitions - quiddity: Definition and Pronunciation
- Quiddity - Quiddity The essence of a thing, or that which differentiates it from other things. Schoolmen say ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Q, q Qadarite Qadariyah Qadhafi qadi Qadiriyah qaf Qahar qaid qalandar Q and A ...
- Fluellen - Fluellen A Welsh captain and great pedant, who, amongst other learned quiddities, attempted to draw ...
- Paradiso: Canto XX - The Divine Comedy Paradiso: Canto XIX Paradiso: Canto XXI Paradiso: Canto XX When he who all the ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring