properly means a drink taken before going to bed; it was milk
curdled with wine.
“In his morning's draught ... his concerves or cates ... and when he
goeth to bedde his posset smoaking hot.” —Man in the Moone
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Posset from Infoplease:
- posset: meaning and definitions - posset: Definition and Pronunciation
- Posset - Posset properly means a drink taken before going to bed; it was milk curdled with wine. “In ...
- Sneck Posset - Sneck Posset To give one a sneck posset is to slam the door in his face (Cumberland and ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index pooch pood poodle poof pooh Pooh Bah pooh-pooh pooka pool pool hall poolroom ...
- Gruel - Gruel To give him his gruel. To kill him. The allusion is to the very common practice in France, in ...