In common parlance. In the usual or vulgar phraseology. An
English-French word; the French have parler, parlant, parlage, etc.- to speak, speaking, talk- but not parlance.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Parlance from Infoplease:
- parlance: meaning and definitions - parlance: Definition and Pronunciation
- Parlance - Parlance In common parlance. In the usual or vulgar phraseology. An English-French word; the French ...
- Sawdust Parlance - Sawdust Parlance (In). Circus parlance. Of course, the allusion is to the custom of sifting sawdust ...
- standpatters - standpatters standpatters, in U.S. history, term used early in the 20th cent. to designate ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Paochi Pão de Açúcar Paoking Paoshan Paoting pap papa papable ...