Your explanation is like an Orleans comment—i.e. Your
comment or explanation makes the matter more obscure. The Orleans
College was noted for its wordy commentaries, which darkened the text
by overloading it with words. (A French proverb.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Orleans from Infoplease:
- Orleanist: meaning and definitions - Orleanist: Definition and Pronunciation
- Orléans, city, France - Orléans Orléans, city (1990 pop. 107,965), capital of Loiret dept., N central France, ...
- Orléans, d': meaning and definitions - Orléans, d': Definition and Pronunciation
- Île d' Orléans - Orléans, Île d' Orléans, Île d' , or Orléans Island, 20 mi ...
- New Orleans - Find images and information about New Orleans, including City Park, the Doullut Steamboat House, Mardi Gras, Jackson Square, French Quarter, Cities of the dead, and more.