(The). One of the four great national festivals of
Greece, celebrated at nemea, in Argolis, every alternate year, the
first and third of each Olympiad. The victor's reward was at first a
crown of olive-leaves, but subsequently a garland of ivy. Pindar has
eleven odes in honour of victors at these games.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nemean Games from Infoplease:
- Nemean Games: meaning and definitions - Nemean Games: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nemean Games - Nemean Games (The). One of the four great national festivals of Greece, celebrated at nemea, in ...
- Opheltes: meaning and definitions - Opheltes: Definition and Pronunciation
- Nemea - Nemea Nemea , city of ancient Greece, in N Argolis. At the temple of Zeus were held the Nemean ...
- Laurel - Laurel The Greeks gave a wreath of laurels to the victor in the Pythian games, but the victor in ...