Godchild of Charlemagne; her parents were Mita and Miton, Count
and Countess of Rennes. She went in search of Fear fortress, and found
that it only existed in the minds of the fearful, vanishing into thin
air as it was approached by a bold heart and clear conscience.
Charlemagne made her for this achievement Roland's squire, and she
followed him on her horse Vaillant to Spain, and fell in the
attack at Roncesvalles. (Croquemitaine, pt. iii.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mitaine from Infoplease:
- Mitaine - Mitaine Godchild of Charlemagne; her parents were Mita and Miton, Count and Countess of Rennes. She ...
- Croc mitaine - Croc mitaine (A). A fire-eater; one always ready to quarrel and fight. (See Croquemitaine.) Source: ...
- Mita - Mita Sister of Aude, surnamed “the Little Knight of Pearls,” in love with Sir Miton de ...
- Himiltrude - Himiltrude (3 syl.). Wife of Charlemagne, who surpassed all other women in nobleness of mien. ...
- Roncesvalles - Roncesvalles (4 syl.). A defile in the Pyrenees, famous for the diaster which here befell the rear ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring