An association of underwriters, for marine insurances. So
called because the society removed in 1716 from Cornhill to a
coffee-house in Lombard Street kept by a man named Lloyd.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lloyd's from Infoplease:
- Lloyd: meaning and definitions - Lloyd: Definition and Pronunciation
- Harold Lloyd - Lloyd, Harold Lloyd, Harold, 1893–1971, American movie actor, b. Burchard, Kans. Lloyd was ...
- Henry Demarest Lloyd - Lloyd, Henry Demarest Lloyd, Henry Demarest, 1847–1903, American reformer, b. New York City. ...
- Lloyd George: meaning and definitions - Lloyd George: Definition and Pronunciation
- Seton Howard Frederick Lloyd - Lloyd, Seton Howard Frederick Lloyd, Seton Howard Frederick, 1902–96, English archaeologist. ...