An innkeeper's daughter in love with Elvino, a rich farmer: but
Elvino loves Amina. Suspicious circumstances make the farmer renounce
the hand of Amina and promise marriage to her rival; but Liza is shown
to be the paramour of another, and Amina, being proved innocent, is
married to the man who loves her. (Bellini: La Sonnambula.) Or
LISA. (See Elvino.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Liza from Infoplease:
- liza: meaning and definitions - liza: Definition and Pronunciation
- Liza - Liza An innkeeper's daughter in love with Elvino, a rich farmer: but Elvino loves Amina. ...
- garland: meaning and definitions - garland: Definition and Pronunciation
- Judy Garland - Garland, Judy Garland, Judy, 1922–69, American singer and film actress, b. Grand Rapids, ...
- Judy Garland - Judy Garland (Frances Gumm) actress, singer Born: 6/10/1922 Birthplace: Grand Rapids, Minnesota ...