A contraction of Lindumcolonia. Lindum was an old
British town, called Llyn-dune (the fen-town). If we had not
known the Latin name, we should have given the etymology Llyn-collyne (the fen-hill, or hill near the pool), as the old
city was on a hill.
The devil looks over Lincoln.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lincoln from Infoplease:
- Abraham Lincoln - Lincoln, Abraham Lincoln, Abraham , 1809–65, 16th President of the United States ...
- Lincoln: meaning and definitions - Lincoln: Definition and Pronunciation
- Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site - Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic Site Abraham Lincoln Birthplace National Historic ...
- Benjamin Lincoln - Lincoln, Benjamin Lincoln, Benjamin, 1733–1810, American Revolutionary soldier, b. Hingham, ...
- Lincoln, city and district, England - Lincoln Lincoln, city (1991 pop. 79,980) and district, Lincolnshire, E England, in the Parts of ...