There are lees to every wine. The best things have some defect.
A French proverb.
“Doubt is the lees of thought.”
etc., i. 11.
Settling on the lees.
Making the best of a bad job; settling down on what is left, after
having squandered the main part of one's fortune.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Lees from Infoplease:
- Lee Teng-hui - Lee Teng-hui Lee Teng-hui , 1923–, Taiwanese agricultural economist and politician, president ...
- bench: meaning and definitions - bench: Definition and Pronunciation
- lee: meaning and definitions - lee: Definition and Pronunciation
- William Lee - Lee, William Lee, William, 1739–95, American Revolutionary diplomat, b. Westmoreland co., ...
- Nathaniel Lee - Lee, Nathaniel Lee, Nathaniel, 1653–92, English dramatist. After failing as an actor, he ...