(the black one). The eighth avâtara or incarnation of Vishnu.
Kansa, demon-king of Mathura', having committed great ravages, Brahman
complained to Vishnu, and prayed him to relieve the world of its
distress; whereupon Vishnu plucked off two hairs, one white and the
other black, and promised they should revenge the wrongs of the
demon-king. The black hair became Krishna. (Hindu mythology.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Krishna from Infoplease:
- Hare Krishnas - Hare Krishnas Hare Krishnas , communalistic religious movement, officially known as the ...
- Krishna, Hindu deity - Krishna Krishna [Sanskrit,=black], one of the most popular deities in Hinduism, the eighth avatar, ...
- Krishna, river, India - Krishna Krishna or Kistna, river, c.800 mi (1,290 km) long, rising in Maharashtra state, central ...
- Hare Krishna: meaning and definitions - Hare Krishna: Definition and Pronunciation
- Krishna: meaning and definitions - Krishna: Definition and Pronunciation