The Jewish heroine of Bethulia, who perilled her life in the
tent of Holofernes, the general of Nebuchadnezzar, in order to save her
native town. The bold adventurer cut off the head of the Assyrian, and
her townsmen, rushing on the invaders, defeated them with great
slaughter. (The Book of Judith.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Judith from Infoplease:
- Judith - Judith Judith [Heb.,=Jewess], early Jewish book included in the Septuagint, but not included in the ...
- Judith - The Bible Judith Ch. 1: In the twelfth year of the reign of… Ch. 2: And in the eighteenth ...
- Judith: meaning and definitions - Judith: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dame Judith Anderson - Anderson, Dame Judith Anderson, Dame Judith, 1898–1992, British actress, b. Adelaide, S. ...
- Point Judith - Point Judith Point Judith, promontory extending into Block Island Sound, S R.I., in the town of ...