The angel of music, who possessed the most melodious voice of
all God's creatures. This is the angel who is to sound the Resurrection
Trump, and will ravish the ears of the saints in paradise. Israfil,
Gabriel, and Michael were the three angels that warned Abraham of
Sodom's destruction. (Sale: Koran.)
“A winged band, commanded by Israfil, the angel of the resurrection,
came to meet Roland.” —Croqurmitaine, ii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Israfil from Infoplease:
- Israfil: meaning and definitions - Israfil: Definition and Pronunciation
- Israfil - Israfil Israfil' The angel of music, who possessed the most melodious voice of all God's ...
- angel - angel angel , [Gr.,=messenger], bodiless, immortal spirit, limited in knowledge and power, accepted ...
- The Koran/Sura XX — Ta. Ha. - The first 14 or 16 verses of this Sura are said to have induced Omar to embrace Islam (His. 226. Ibn Sâd, i. and v. Comp. Weil, p. 60. Causs. i. 396 f
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: I - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "I"