A confused mixture or jumble; a thick broth containing meat and
A sort of soup, or broth, or brew,
Or hotchpotch of all sorts of fishes.
Thackeray: Ballad of Bouillabaisse, stanza 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hotch-potch from Infoplease:
- Hotch-potch - Hotch-potch A confused mixture or jumble; a thick broth containing meat and vegetables. A sort of ...
- hotchpotch: meaning and definitions - hotchpotch: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kedjeree' - Kedjeree' A stew of rice, vegetables, eggs, butter, etc. A corruption of the Indian word ...
- Galimaufrey - Galimaufrey or Gallimaufrey (g hard). A medley; any confused jumble of things; but strictly ...
- Pot-Pourri - Pot-Pourri (French). A mixture of dried sweet-smelling flower-petals and herbs preserved in a vase. ...