Hen and Chickens
(in Christian art), emblematical of God's providence. (See
St. Matthew xxiii. 37.)
A whistling maid and crowing hen is neither fit for God nor men.
A whistling maid means a witch, who whistles like the Lapland
witches to call up the winds; they were supposed to be in league with
the devil. The crowing of a hen was supposed to forbode a death. The
usual interpretation is that masculine qualities in females are
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Hen and Chickens from Infoplease:
- hen-and-chickens: meaning and definitions - hen-and-chickens: Definition and Pronunciation
- Hen and Chickens - Hen and Chickens (in Christian art), emblematical of God's providence. (See St. Matthew xxiii. ...
- stonecrop family: meaning and definitions - stonecrop family: Definition and Pronunciation
- stonecrop - stonecrop stonecrop, common name for members of the Crassulaceae (also called orpine, or ...
- Delaware, state, United States: Facts and Figures - Facts and Figures Area, 2,057 sq mi (5,328 sq km). Pop. (2000) 783,600, a 17.6% increase since the ...