The “grove” for which the Jewish women wove hangings, and which
the Jews were commanded to cut down and burn, was the wooden Ashera, a
sort of idol symbolising the generative power of Nature.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Grove from Infoplease:
- Groves: meaning and definitions - Groves: Definition and Pronunciation
- grove: meaning and definitions - grove: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sir George Grove - Grove, Sir George Grove, Sir George, 1820–1900, English musicographer, whose Dictionary of ...
- Andrew Grove - Andrew Grove (Andras Grof) engineer, technology executive Born: 9/2/1936 Birthplace: Budapest, ...
- Robert Moses Grove - Grove, Robert Moses Grove, Robert Moses (Lefty Grove), 1900–1975, American baseball player, ...