Those who stood in the pit, which was the ground in ancient
“To split the ears of the groundlings.”
Shakespeare: Hamlet, iii. 2.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Groundlings from Infoplease:
- groundling: meaning and definitions - groundling: Definition and Pronunciation
- Groundlings - Groundlings Those who stood in the pit, which was the ground in ancient theatres. “To split ...
- Kristen Wiig - Biography of Kristen Wiig, The enthusiastic Target clerk on Saturday Night Live
- Jon Lovitz - Biography of Jon Lovitz, As a young comedian, Lovitz was a member of The Groundlings comedy troupe in Los Angeles where he met Phil Hartman. He was a cast member of …
- Lisa Kudrow - Biography of Lisa Kudrow, Phoebe on TV's Friends