A slang term for a foreigner who begins to learn tailoring or
shoe-making on his arrival in England.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Greener from Infoplease:
- Greener - Greener A slang term for a foreigner who begins to learn tailoring or shoe-making on his arrival in ...
- What does it mean? - brevity --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format Which of these sayings is the best ...
- Ezra Pound: Four Poems of Departure - Light rain is on the light dust. The willows of the inn-yard Will be going greener and greener, But you, Sir, had better take wine ere your departure,
- Journey of Hope (Reise der Hoffnung) - Starring Necmettin Çobanoglu, Nur Sürer, Emin Sivas, Erdinc Akbas, Yaman Okay
- Amy Lowell: Thompson's Lunch Room — Grand Central Station - Wax-white — Floor, ceiling, walls. Ivory shadows Over the pavement Polished to cream surfaces By constant sweeping. The big room is coloured like the