Young, fresh, as green cheese, i.e. cream cheese, which
is eaten fresh; green goose, a young or midsummer goose.
“If you would fat green geese, shut them up when they are about a
month old.” —Mortimer: Husbandry
Immature in age or judgment, inexperienced, young.
The text is old, the orator too green.
Shakespeare: Venus and Adonis, 806.
Simple, raw, easily imposed upon; a greenhorn (q.v.).
“`He is so jolly green,' said Charley.” —Dickens: Oliver Twist. chap. ix.
The imperial green of France was the old Merovingian colour
restored, and the golden bees are the ornaments found on the tomb of
Childeric, the father of Clovis, in 1653. The imperial colour of the
Aztecs was green; the national banner of Ireland is green; the field of
many American flags is green, as their Union Jack, and the flags of the
admiral, vice-admiral, rear-admiral, and commodore; and that of the
Chinese militia is green.
is held unlucky to particular clans and counties of Scotland. The
Caithness men look on it as fatal, because their bands were clad in
green at the battle of Flodden. It is disliked by all who bear the name
of Ogilvy, and is especially unlucky to the Grahame clan. One day, an
aged man of that name was thrown from his horse in a fox chase, and he
accounted for the accident from his having a green lash to his riding
(See Kendal Green.)
For its symbolism, etc., see under COLOURS.) N.B. There are
106 different shades of green. (See Kendal Green.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Green from Infoplease:
- Greene: meaning and definitions - Greene: Definition and Pronunciation
- green: meaning and definitions - green: Definition and Pronunciation
- Blues and Greens - Blues and Greens Blues and Greens, political factions in the Byzantine Empire in the 6th cent. They ...
- Graham Greene - Greene, Graham Greene, Graham (Henry Graham Greene), 1904–91, English novelist and ...
- Matthew Green - Green, Matthew Green, Matthew, 1696–1737, English poet. His one important poem, The Spleen ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring