(g hard). France.
“Insulting Gaul has roused the world to war.”
“Shall haughty Gaul invasion threat?” —Burns.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Gaul from Infoplease:
- Gaul: meaning and definitions - Gaul: Definition and Pronunciation
- Alfred Robert Gaul - Gaul, Alfred Robert Gaul, Alfred Robert , 1837–1913, English composer. He wrote numerous ...
- Amadis of Gaul: meaning and definitions - Amadis of Gaul: Definition and Pronunciation
- Gaul - Gaul Gaul , Lat. Gallia, ancient designation for the land S and W of the Rhine, W of the Alps, and ...
- Amadis of Gaul - Amadis of Gaul Amadis of Gaul , Fr. Amadis de Gaule, famous prose romance of chivalry, first ...