The heraldic device of the city of Paris is a ship. As Sauval
says. “L'ile de la cité est faite comme un grand navire enfoncé dans
la vase, et échoué au fil de l'eau vers le milieu de la Seine. ”
This form of a ship struck the heraldic scribes, who in the latter part
of the Middle Ages emblazoned a ship on the shield of Paris.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on France from Infoplease:
- France: meaning and definitions - France: Definition and Pronunciation
- Mendès-France: meaning and definitions - Mendès-France: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anne of France: meaning and definitions - Anne of France: Definition and Pronunciation
- Anatole France - France, Anatole France, Anatole , pseud. of Jacques Anatole Thibault, 1844–1924, French ...
- France - Map of France & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.