A coquette. The word is from the verb flirt, as, “to flirt a
fan.” The fan being used for coquetting, those who coquetted were
called fan-flirts. Lady Frances Shirley, the favourite of Lord
Chesterfield, introduced the word. Flirt is allied to flutter, flit,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Flirt from Infoplease:
- flirt: meaning and definitions - flirt: Definition and Pronunciation
- Flirt - Starring Martin Donovan, Paul Austin, Robert John Burke
- Flirting With Disaster - Starring Ben Stiller, Tea Leoni, Patricia Arquette, Mary Tyler Moore, Alan Alda
- Flirt - Flirt A coquette. The word is from the verb flirt, as, “to flirt a fan.” The fan being ...
- Flirting With Disaster - Flirting With Disaster Miramax; rental pricing Feature; R Director: David O. Russell Cast: Ben ...