as a verb, means to repair; to smoothe; as an
adjective, it means well-knit, all right and tight. It is connected
with our word feat, the French faire, the Latin facere.
in Lancashire, means ale warmed and spiced.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Fettle from Infoplease:
- fettle: meaning and definitions - fettle: Definition and Pronunciation
- fettling: meaning and definitions - fettling: Definition and Pronunciation
- Fettle - Fettle as a verb, means to repair; to smoothe; as an adjective, it means well-knit, all right and ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index feodary feoff feoffee Feosol FEPA FEPC fer FERA ferae naturae feral ferbam Ferber ...
- Gradely - Gradely A north of England term meaning thoroughly; regularly; as Behave yourself gradely. A ...