the second best wine in Italy, was so called by the ancient
Romans because it was made of grapes from Falernus. There were three
sorts—the rough, the sweet, and the dry.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Falernian from Infoplease:
- Falernian: meaning and definitions - Falernian: Definition and Pronunciation
- Falernian - Falernian the second best wine in Italy, was so called by the ancient Romans because it was made of ...
- wine: Italian Wine - Italian Wine Italy is the largest and one of the oldest wine-producing countries in the world. ...
- Marcus Aurelius: Book Six - The substance of the universe is obedient and compliant; and the reason which governs it has in itself no cause for doing evil, for it has no malice,
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: F - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "F"