Divide and Govern
Divide a nation into parties, or set your enemies
at loggerheads, and you can have your own way. A maxim of Machiavelli,
a noted political writer of Florence (1469-1527).
“Every city or house divided against itself shall not stand.” —Matthew xii. 25.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Divide and Govern from Infoplease:
- Divide and Govern - Divide and Govern Divide a nation into parties, or set your enemies at loggerheads, and you can ...
- Department - Department France is divided into departments, as Great Britain and Ireland are divided into ...
- Sri Lanka: History - History Early History and Colonialism The most ancient of the inhabitants were probably the ...
- Centinel I - Friends, Countrymen and Fellow Citizens,
- The Gambia - The Gambia Profile: People and History, Government, Defense, Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Gambian Relations