or Dicky. A donkey; anciently called a Dick-ass, now
termed Jack-ass. It is a term of endearment, as we call a pet bird a dicky-bird. The ass is called Dick-y (little Richard), Cuddy
(little Cuthbert), Neddy (little Edward), Jack-ass, Moke or Mike, etc.
The rumble behind a carriage; also a leather apron, a child's bib,
and a false shirt or front. All these are from the same root. (Dutch,
dekken; German, decken; Anglo-Saxon, thecan; Latin, tego, to cover.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dickey from Infoplease:
- dickey: meaning and definitions - dickey: Definition and Pronunciation
- James Dickey - Dickey, James Dickey, James, 1923–97, American poet and novelist, b. Atlanta. After serving ...
- James Dickey - James Dickey poet, novelist, critic, lecturer Though considered one of the country's most ...
- John DICKEY - John DICKEY (1794-1853) DICKEY, John, (father of Oliver James Dickey), a Representative from ...
- Oliver James DICKEY - Oliver James DICKEY (1823-1876) DICKEY, Oliver James, (son of John Dickey), a Representative from ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring