(3 syl.). The temple of Diana at Ephesus, built by Dinochares,
was set on fire by Herostratos, for the sake of perpetuating his name.
The Ionians decreed that any one who mentioned his name should be put
to death, but this very decree gave it immortality. The temple was
discovered in 1872 by Mr. Wood.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Diana from Infoplease:
- Diana: meaning and definitions - Diana: Definition and Pronunciation
- Diana, in Roman religion - Diana Diana , in Roman religion, goddess of the moon, forests, animals, and women in childbirth. ...
- Princess Diana Remembered: London Memorial Park - Princess Diana Remembered Walkway, children's playground honor Princess Diana by David Johnson ...
- Diana, Princess of Wales - Diana, Princess of Wales (Lady Diana Frances Spencer) former princess Born: 7/1/1961 Birthplace: ...
- Diana, Princess of Wales - Diana, Princess of Wales Britain's goodwill ambassador Diana captivated the world with her ...