A jovial, true-hearted store-farmer, in Sir Walter
Scott's Guy Mannering. Also a hardy hairy short-legged terrier.
“From this dog descended Davidson of Hyndlee's breed, the original
Dandie-Dinmont.” T. Brown: Our Dogs, p.104.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dandie Dinmont from Infoplease:
- Dandie Dinmont: meaning and definitions - Dandie Dinmont: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dandie Dinmont - Dandie Dinmont A jovial, true-hearted store-farmer, in Sir Walter Scott's Guy Mannering. Also a ...
- West Highland white terrier - West Highland white terrier West Highland white terrier, breed of sturdy, compact terrier developed ...
- terrier - terrier terrier, classification used by breeders and kennel clubs to designate dogs originally bred ...
- Australian terrier - Australian terrier Australian terrier, breed of small, hardy terrier perfected in Australia c.1885. ...