An Indian copper coin, the fortieth part of a rupee. Hence the
expression “Not worth a dam”; similarly “not worth a farthing,” “not
worth a rap” (q.v.); “not worth a sou,” “not worth a stiver,”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Dam from Infoplease:
- dam - dam dam, barrier, commonly across a watercourse, to hold back water, often forming a reservoir or ...
- dam: meaning and definitions - dam: Definition and Pronunciation
- Supung - Supung Supung , dam on the Yalu River, on the border between North Korea and Liaoning prov., NE ...
- McNary Dam - McNary Dam McNary Dam, 7,265 ft (2,214 m) long and 183 ft (56 m) high, on the Columbia River ...
- Bonneville Dam - Bonneville Dam Bonneville Dam, one of the major dams on the Columbia River where it passes through ...