The surname of Henry II. He introduced the Anjou mantle, which
was shorter than the robe worn by his predecessors. (1133, 1154-1189.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Curtmantle from Infoplease:
- Curtmantle - Curtmantle The surname of Henry II. He introduced the Anjou mantle, which was shorter than the robe ...
- Henry II: meaning and definitions - Henry II: Definition and Pronunciation
- Henry II, king of England - Henry II Henry II, 1133–89, king of England (1154–89), son of Matilda, queen of ...
- Caracalla - Caracalla [long-mantle ]. Aurelius Antoninus was so called because he adopted the Gaulish caracalla ...
- Curst - Curst Curst cows have curt horns. Angry men cannot do all the mischief they wish. Curst means ...