A game played with a sort of bandy stick. The crook was
superseded by a kind of mallet. Du Cange gives “Croque, croquebois,
croquet, bâton armé d'un croc, ou qui est recourbé” (vol. vii. p.
115). The art of the game is to strike your balls through very small
hoops arranged in a given order.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Croquet from Infoplease:
- croquet - croquet croquet , lawn game in which the players hit wooden balls with wooden mallets through a ...
- croquet: meaning and definitions - croquet: Definition and Pronunciation
- Croquet - Croquet A game played with a sort of bandy stick. The crook was superseded by a kind of mallet. Du ...
- The Queen's Croquet-Ground - of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, by Lewis Carrollby Lewis Carroll A Mad Tea-Party The Mock ...
- Roque (Croquet) - Roque (Croquet) Charles Jacobus, USA S.O. Streeter, USA Charles Brown, USA Information Please® ...