A Tantalus (q.v.).
In the full flood stands Tantalus, his skin
Washed o'er in vain, for ever dry within.
He catches at the stream with greedy lips -
From his parched mouth the wanton torrent slips ...
Change but the name, this fable is thy story:
Thou in a flood of useless wealth dost glory,
Which thou canst only touch, but never taste.
Cowley: Horace, satire i.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Covetous Man from Infoplease:
- Covetous Man - Covetous Man A Tantalus (q.v.). In the full flood stands Tantalus, his skin Washed o'er in ...
- Ephesians: 5 - Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear…
- Sirach: 10 - A wise judge will instruct his people…
- Attack by Stratagem - Sun Tzu on the Art of War by Sun Tzu 2 - Waging War Tactical Dispositions - 4 Attack by Stratagem ...
- Tantalos - Tantalos (Latin, Tantalus), according to fable, is punished in the infernal regions by intolerable ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring