To appeal to the country. To dissolve Parliament in order to
ascertain the wish of the country by a new election of representatives.
Father of his country.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Country from Infoplease:
- World - Countries, Geography, World Statistics, Current Events, Disasters, Travel, Flags, and more
- Countries of the World - Country profiles provide information on geography, maps, flags, history, populations, cities, ethnicity, literacy, economics, government, current rulers, and more.
- old country: meaning and definitions - old country: Definition and Pronunciation
- back country: meaning and definitions - back country: Definition and Pronunciation
- country music: meaning and definitions - country music: Definition and Pronunciation