are mandates, letters, and writs of a private nature,
addressed, in the Sovereign's name, to individuals and folded or
closed and sealed on the outside with the Great Seal.
Rolls are left open, with the seal hanging from the bottom.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Close Rolls from Infoplease:
- Close Rolls - Close Rolls are mandates, letters, and writs of a private nature, addressed, in the Sovereign's ...
- Clause Rolls - Clause Rolls (Rotuli clausi). Close Rolls. (See Close Rolls) “Clause Rolls contain all such ...
- Bell Savage - Bell Savage or La Belle Sauvage = Pocahontas. According to one derivation it is a contraction of ...
- Charing Cross - Charing Cross Not from chère reine, in honour of Eleanor, the dear wife of Edward I., but la ...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Threnody - The South-wind brings Life, sunshine and desire, And on every mount and meadow Breathes aromatic fire; But over the dead he has no power, The lost, th