was one of the nine Muses, the inventress of historical and
Addison is so called because his papers in the Spectator are
signed by one of the four letters in this word, probably the initial
letters of Chelsea, London, Islington, Office. (See Notarica)
See Professor Morley's “Introduction to the Spectator, ” on the subject.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Clio from Infoplease:
- Clio - Clio: Clio: see Muses.
- Clio: meaning and definitions - Clio: Definition and Pronunciation
- Muses - Muses Muses, in Greek religion and mythology, patron goddesses of the arts, daughters of Zeus and ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/clio - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Clio - Clio was one of the nine Muses, the inventress of historical and heroic poetry. Clio. Addison is so ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring