is not connected with the word camel; it is a fine cloth made
of goats' hair, called Turkish yarn, and is from the Arabic word
camlat, which Littré says is so called from seil el camel
(the Angora goat).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Camlet from Infoplease:
- camlet: meaning and definitions - camlet: Definition and Pronunciation
- Camlet - Camlet is not connected with the word camel; it is a fine cloth made of goats' hair, called ...
- Tartus - Tartus Tartus , town (1995 est. pop. 130,000), W Syria, a port on the Mediterranean Sea. Olive oil ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index cam camaca Camacho Camagüey camail camaraderie camarasaur camarilla Camarillo ...
- Camelote - Camelote (2 syl.). Fustian, rubbish, trash. The cloth so called ought to be made of goats' ...