In French history, the Camisards are the Protestant insurgents
of the Cevennes, who resisted the violence of the dragonnades, after
the revocation of the edict of Nantes. Their leader was Cavalier,
afterwards Governor of Jersey.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Camisard from Infoplease:
- Camisards - Camisards Camisards , Protestant peasants of the Cévennes region of France who in 1702 ...
- Camisard: meaning and definitions - Camisard: Definition and Pronunciation
- Camisard - Camisard In French history, the Camisards are the Protestant insurgents of the Cevennes, who ...
- Camisarde - Camisarde or Camisado. A night attack; so called because the attacking party wore a camise or ...
- Roland Laporte - Laporte, Roland Laporte, Roland , 1675–1704, a leader of the Camisards, known as Roland. He ...