Both in the same boat. Both treated alike; both placed in the
same conditions. The reference is to the boat launched when a ship is
wrecked. To be represented in a boat is the ordinary symbol of
apotheosis. Many sovereigns are so represented on coins.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Boat from Infoplease:
- boat - boat boat, small, open nautical vessel propelled by sail, oar, pole, paddle, or motor. The use of ...
- torpedo boat - torpedo boat torpedo boat, small fast warship built specially for using the torpedo as a means of ...
- iceboating - iceboating iceboating, sport of sailing a specially prepared boat equipped with runners over ice. ...
- canoeing - canoeing canoeing, sport of propelling a canoe through water. John MacGregor, an English barrister ...
- assault boat: meaning and definitions - assault boat: Definition and Pronunciation