Captain Caldwell used to say that no cock could be truly game
whose mother was not a blue hen. As Caldwell commanded the 1st Delaware
regiment in the war, the State of Delaware was nicknamed Blue Hen.
Your mother was a blue hen, no doubt.
A reproof give to a braggart. (See above.)
Sailors; so called because the colour of their jackets is blue.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Blue Hen from Infoplease:
- Blue Hen - Blue Hen Captain Caldwell used to say that no cock could be truly game whose mother was not a blue ...
- Delaware, state, United States: Facts and Figures - Facts and Figures Area, 2,057 sq mi (5,328 sq km). Pop. (2000) 783,600, a 17.6% increase since the ...
- Delaware - Information on Delaware — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Delaware, state, United States: History - History Native Inhabitants and European Claims Long before Europeans explored the Delaware area, it ...
- State Symbols - State Symbols State Song Bird Tree Flower Alabama “Alabama” (1931) yellowhammer (1927) ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring