A bar of iron with fetters annexed to it, by which mutinous
sailors are linked together. The word is derived from Bilba'o, in
Spain, where they were first made. Some of the bilboes taken from the
Spanish Armada are still kept in the Tower of London.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bilboes from Infoplease:
- bilbo: meaning and definitions - bilbo: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bilbo Baggins - Biography of Bilbo Baggins, The titular character of J.R.R. Tolkien's The Hobbit
- Theodore Gilmore Bilbo - Bilbo, Theodore Gilmore Bilbo, Theodore Gilmore, 1877–1947, U.S. senator (1935–47), b. ...
- Theodore Gilmore BILBO - Theodore Gilmore BILBO (1877-1947) Senate Years of Service: 1935-1947 Party: Democrat BILBO, ...
- Bilboes - Bilboes A bar of iron with fetters annexed to it, by which mutinous sailors are linked together. ...