(bah-ya-dare). A dancing girl dressed in Eastern
costume; so called from the bajaderes of India, whose duty is to
dance before the images of the gods; but the grandees employ similar
dancers for their private amusements. The word is a corruption of the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bayadere from Infoplease:
- bayadere: meaning and definitions - bayadere: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bayadere - Bayadere (bah-ya-dare). A dancing girl dressed in Eastern costume; so called from the bajaderes of ...
- Marius Petipa - Petipa, Marius Petipa, Marius , 1822–1910, French dancer and choreographer, b. Marseilles. ...
- Rudolf Nureyev - Nureyev, Rudolf Nureyev, Rudolf , 1938–93, Russian ballet dancer, b. near Irkutsk, Siberian ...
- Natalia Makarova - Makarova, Natalia Makarova, Natalia, 1940–, Russian ballet dancer, b. Leningrad (now St. ...