You must go to Battersea to get your simples cut. A reproof to
a simpleton, or one who makes a very foolish observation. The market
gardeners of Battersea used to grow simples (medicinal herbs), and the
London apothecaries went there to select or cut such as they wanted. (See Naviga.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Battersea from Infoplease:
- Battersea: meaning and definitions - Battersea: Definition and Pronunciation
- Battersea - Battersea You must go to Battersea to get your simples cut. A reproof to a simpleton, or one who ...
- Wandsworth - Wandsworth Wandsworth, inner borough (1991 pop. 237,500) of Greater London, SE London, on the ...
- Kensington and Chelsea - Kensington and Chelsea Kensington and Chelsea, inner borough (1991 pop. 127,600) of Greater London, ...
- Simple - Simple (The). Charles III. of France. (879, 893-929.) Simples cut. (See Battersea.) Source: ...