(3 syl.). The Duke of Ormond, a friend and staunch adherent
of Charles II. The allusion is to Barzillai, who assisted David when he
was expelled by Absalom from his kingdom (2 Sam. xvii. 27–29).
Barzillai crowned with honours and with years ...
In exile with his godlike prince he mourned,
For him he suffered, and with him returned.
Dryden: Absalom and Achitophel, 1. 817–94.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Barzillai from Infoplease:
- Barzillai - Barzillai Barzillai , in the Bible. 1. Chief in Gilead who was friendly to David. 2. The ...
- Barzillai - Barzillai (3 syl.). The Duke of Ormond, a friend and staunch adherent of Charles II. The allusion ...
- Chimham - Chimham Chimham , in the Bible, Barzillai's son. The “habitation of Chimham” was a ...
- Francis CARR - Francis CARR (1751-1821) CARR, Francis, (father of James Carr), a Representative from ...
- 2 Samuel: 19 - And it was told Joab, Behold, the king weepeth…
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring