The youngest and comeliest of Charlemagne's paladins; and the
nephew of Sir Roland.
(in Jerusalem Delivered). The restless and ambitious Duke of
Bologna, leader of 1,200 horse in the allied Christian army. He was
Godfrey's brother; not so tall, but very like him.
Baldwin, the Ass
(in the tale of Reynard the Fox). In the third part of the
Beast-epic he is called “Dr. Baldwin.” (Old German, bold friend.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Baldwin from Infoplease:
- Baldwin: meaning and definitions - Baldwin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Robert Baldwin - Baldwin, Robert Baldwin, Robert, 1804–58, Canadian statesman, leader of the movement for ...
- James Baldwin - Baldwin, James Baldwin, James, 1924–87, American author, b. New York City. He spent an ...
- Roger Nash Baldwin - Baldwin, Roger Nash Baldwin, Roger Nash, 1884–1981, American civil libertarian, b. Wellesley, ...
- Matthias William Baldwin - Baldwin, Matthias William Baldwin, Matthias William, 1795–1866, American industrialist and ...