(Anglo-Indian) A native Hindû nurse or lady's maid.
“The ayahs, or nurses, are said to be the best in the world.” —
B. Taylor: Visit to India, chap. ii. p. 37.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ayah from Infoplease:
- ayah: meaning and definitions - ayah: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ayah - Ayah (Anglo-Indian) A native Hindû nurse or lady's maid. “The ayahs, or nurses, are ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Auvergne au vol aux Aux Cayes auxesis auxetic auxiliary auxiliary language ...
- Words of Four Letters - Words of Four Letters Try the Find a Word: Crossword Search Aborigine: Borneo, DYAK Agave, ALOE ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: A - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "A"